No one is motivated by Monday. NO. ONE. Even if you work in an industry where Mondays are your weekend, you are still somehow affected by Moday-itis. It's all about the name. Monday. Might as well say "Blahday". And blow raspberries anytime you say the word.
Unfortunately, what we (I say "we" because I'm guilty of this too) are missing out on is that Monday is really just a fresh start EVERY SINGLE WEEK. If we thought of it like a mini New Year's Day - New Week's Day, perhaps? - then I think we would be a lot more excited and motivated to get moving on Mondays.
Think about it...
- Your diet fell apart over the weekend so Monday will be your diet re-start day.
- You forgot to workout for the last 2 weeks. Monday is the day you begin again.
- House cleaning and laundry have been ignored. Monday is the day you start attacking the piles.
- All those phone calls you plan on making (like to your photographer, cough cough, 262.366.7980) - make Monday the day you start dialing.
You get the idea.
Now, it doesn't mean Monday is the day you do it all. It is simply the day you make a plan and set it into action. Just like New Year's Day - you don't accomplish all your goals on the first day of the year, nor should you accomplish them on the first day of the week.
Here are some tips I've gathered to help get your Monday fire started...
Six Tips for Mondays
- Get dressed down to the shoes. Flylady swears by it. So do I. Even though our PJs and fuzzy socks are incredibly comfortable to wear all day (if you work from home you cannot deny you do this.... daily), there is something to be said for wearing "real" clothes. Getting dressed makes you feel like you have intention for the day. And shoes in the house? Get a pair of shoes that you will keep just to wear at home. Not slippers. SHOES. I don't know why, but I tend to move faster and with more gusto when I have shoes on in the house. More stuff gets done. Like magic.
- Pick out your clothes the night before. If you choose an outfit to wear, you will be more likely to actually PUT IT ON. And besides, it will eliminate the Early Morning Pre-Coffee Zombie Stare into your closet.
- Make your bed. This is another one from the darling Flylady. Such a simple task and it makes our day so much brighter. Just do it. It doesn't have to be Army-quality.
- Write a list. Make a list of the things you HAVE to do this week (appointments, deadlines), SHOULD do this week (laundry, cleaning) and WANT to do this week (craft project, thank you notes from Christmas). Assign the tasks to a day. Check them off as you go. Actually, I prefer scratching them out. Until you can't see them anymore. And there is nothing wrong with adding as you go. Cleaned out the fridge (because something spilled and you were forced to)? Write it down, check it off. It's so pretty to see all the checkmarks! Need some ideas on lists and projects? Check out my Pinterest board on Organization.
- Plan your menu. This is one of those things that is SO EASY but never gets done. And then we are left scrambling.... eggs for "breakfast for dinner". Again. Plan ahead. Use your crockpot. Take this daily stressor off your back. Use all those recipes you pinned on Pinterest. (I hear that's a thing....um....)
- Take a picture. Sometimes when I'm feeling unmotivated, uncreative and un-everything, I just pick up my camera and start shooting what I see. Little by little, my blood starts flowing and I start feeling better. And then, next thing I know, I'm energized and ready to take on the world (or at least the pile on my desk). Maybe taking pictures isn't your motivator. Maybe it's taking five minutes to knit, paper craft, play a video game, do some yoga. Whatever your passion, just getting started will help push you past the wall of defeat.
I hope this list helps you rock your Monday. Let's go do this...